Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Failure and re building

I had decided to take the challenge of writing a novel in the month of November, this is however, proving more of a difficulty than i had anticipated. Although i love to write, i simply am.. and have always been... a procrastinator... if you knew me during my early student years (and sometimes the later ones) you knew that i would do literally ANYTHING not to study, or write a paper... seriously. one time i found myself cleaning grease out of the microwave vent... i mean anything. although these things are good to get done, and usually a 'no one wants to do it' kind of job... its not at all something that should be done when there is work at hand. having something with a goal to reach each day with a final product for the end hasn't been on the top of my list. 
However, i have regrouped and have today begun to write fervently. My characters are beginning to take a shape and it actually feels good. 
Last week was a really transitional time for me and i think that this may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for a craft of which i am very fond of.

 sometimes i long for the comfort of the library cubicles, the ease at which i can acquire a large cup of coffee and the hum of the florescent lights above my head... wait, i have that here... but you get the picture... haha. I've quickly learnt that the common experiences which we share with other native teachers are the things on which we should focus. although everyone says "oh its for the experience," i often wonder, is it really? could i not have an experience living my student life, is this not experience? perhaps a more mundane and less exotic sounding one, but nevertheless ...
being removed from the things that make us comfortable because they are within our realm of routine makes us readjust and find parts of ourselves that we may have never explored.. this is the kind of experience i suppose 'they' speak of. but then we find a new routine, a new way to critique the things around us, although non familial, the shared experiences with 'comfortable' people allow this to occur...

No comments:

Post a Comment